Here are 5 of the most loving things you can do for the people you care about in the New Year because at some point you may not be here to protect them. While we don’t like to think about that, the best way to put it out of your mind is to plan well and then go live your best life.
1. Make a plan. A will, trust, power of attorney, health care directive and, if you have kids, a Kids Protection Plan® so you don’t leave your family to deal with an expensive court proceeding overseen by a judge who doesn’t know (or really care) about you or your family or unnecessary estate taxes.
2. Write a letter or record a CD. Pass on what really matters to your family -- your values, insights, stories and experience -- in written or recorded form so they can return to you long after you are gone.
3. Pay for and plan your funeral. Cremated or buried? Ashes or body where? Yes or no to a viewing? Make these decisions now and let your loved ones know, in writing, so they don’t have to wonder. And consider pre-paying for your funeral expenses, so they don’t have to scramble in a time of grief.
4. Plan to pay no taxes. Will there be taxes on your estate and how will your heirs pay them, if so? Meet with a lawyer to be sure because you’d be surprised how small an estate can be to be at risk for estate taxes or other costs, especially if there’s insurance involved. You don’t have to be rich to think about this.
5. Get organized. Let loved ones know where they can find your legal documents and other important paperwork, the key to your safe deposit box and be sure to include all of the password information to access online accounts, including email, Facebook, and other regularly accessed programs.
A Gift Your Family Will Appreciate ...For Generations To Come
My name is Jane DePalma and I’m your neighborhood estate planning attorney. This month, in honor of the New Year, I have a “get organized for your loved ones" special going on. Be one of the first 5 families to get on our calendar this month and we’ll get you organized in our Family Legacy Planning Session and waive our normal $750 fee.
Here’s something important you need to know that directly affects your family:
If you want to protect your assets and make sure your kids are taken care of by people you LOVE if the unthinkable should happen to you and your partner...then you must PLAN NOW. Planning now is one of the greatest gifts you can give to your loved ones.
This Gift Has A Value Of Over $750 But Is Worth MUCH More To Your Family
If you make an appointment this month for a Family Legacy Planning Session, I will waive my regular $750 planning fee. During Your FREE Planning Session You And Your Spouse Will:
Choose the Right Guardians for Your Kids and Avoid Making the Six Common Mistakes!
Get Your Financial House in Order and Keep it that Way!
Ensure Your Kids (& Spouse) Are Prepared for Life Without You!
Discover How To Legally Avoid ALL Estate Taxes & Keep Your Family Out of Court!
Learn the Secret to Protecting Your Kid’s Inheritance From Lawsuits and Divorce!
Discover How to Leave Your Loved Ones a Gift Far Greater Than All the Money in the World!
The Planning Session is absolutely FREE and there is NO OBLIGATION and NO PRESSURE.
Call or email today to make your appointment, and say you want to take advantage of Jane's Happy New Year promotion.
A Checklist: The 5 Most Loving Things You Can Do For the People You Love In the New Year.
It’s a new year, which means a new chance to do what you’ve been putting off until the time is right. That time is now.
This web site may be considered advertising under Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Rules and other state ethical rules. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The content of this web site is for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal advice, should not be relied upon in order to solve individual or general legal matters, and is not a substitute for personal consultation with legal counsel. Specialization does not imply or infer expertise. This web page does not establish an attorney-client relationship.